Politics from the Palouse to Puget Sound

Friday, September 08, 2006

Remove Their Choice -- Make Them Do It My Way

How can we go about ensuring green credentials for our next Washington State University president? It's well past time that the Pullman campus divert parking revenue from more pavement toward more greenways, extended bus hours, and low-emission fleets for on-campus vehicles and motor pool.

The University of Idaho and the University of Washington both have planned and begun implementing plans for a post-automotive campus. Help us select a president who understands congestion, noise pollution and will create an academy setting for Pullman.

Roger Crawford, Pullman
<satire>Let's force people out of their cars and onto public transportation by limiting the places where they can park and drive. Let me summarize the above letter: Misappropriate money from parking to sources that will make it harder for people to park on campus. They have to walk and take the bus, because that is what I, Roger Crawford, desire. </satire>

Why should the money I use to buy a parking permit get used on campus fleet cars? How does that make any sense at all? I am not buying my permit to support fleet cars and greenways. My permit is to support the place where I park my car.

A post-automotive campus? What does he know that I don't know? Are cars getting banned from the state of Washington? If the state were to ban cars, that would help settle argument about how to replace the Alaskan Way Viaduct and 520-Bridge in the Seattle-area. If they have no cars, there is no reason to replace them.

How about we select a president who understands HOW TO RUN A UNIVERSITY!? How about one who puts major focus on education and research? How about one who is more concerned about a quality education and less worried about the politically correct causes of the 1990's and 2000's?

No comments: