Politics from the Palouse to Puget Sound

Wednesday, September 20, 2006

Fresh Voices

I had the honor of speaking to the WSU College Republicans last night. I told them that when I started this blog, I was guided by three principles:

1. Tell it like it is. Use the facts and truth to cut through all the BS in local politics.
2. Deeds, not words. Anything that I advocated on the blog would be backed up by my personal activism. That is why I have been involved with BREO and the Whitman County Republican Party
3. It takes a village to annoy a liberal. Who wants to hear me rant all the time? I have always wanted Palousitics to be a community blog that reflects many different conservative/libertarian viewpoints.

In furtherance of #3, I have asked Paul Zimmerman to join Palousitics and share his very erudite commentary with us from time to time. I have also invited some of our WSU College Republicans to join us and share their perspectives as well.

There is a nasty lie being circulated by our local Rats that Whitman County Republicans/conservatives don't care about students and want to divide the community. Baloney! Students are an important part of our community and they represent our future. I commended them last night for being involved on the right side at such an early age. I'm ashamed to admit that when I was in college, I was a Young Democrat and my first Presidential vote was cast for (wasted on).....gulp....Walter Mondale.

Let's welcome them all!


Scotty said...

Tom?!?! Say it ain't so!!! Say someone else posted this in your name.

Well at least you saw the light. Welcome to the good side.

Actually, this is a great story. It provides me hope that some other Democrats will see the light.

Tom Forbes said...

And yet strangely I consider myself a "Reagan Republican", even though I never voted for the man.

If it's any consolation, I voted for George Bush, Sr. and George W. Bush four times, as well as Bob Dole since then.

You have to remember, I was born in rural Virginia, where until about 25 years ago, Hitler could have run as a Democrat and gotten elected. After all, Lincoln was the first Republican president, and that brought back a lot of bad memories in my neck of the woods. Plus many poor farmers (which my grandparents were), rightly or wrongly, regarded FDR as a saint.

Scotty said...

We're lucky to have someone as vocal and involved as you in Pullman.