Politics from the Palouse to Puget Sound

Wednesday, August 15, 2007

A Happy Surprise

I was teaching a first-aid class yesterday for employees of Pullman Transit.

During our first break one of the guys asked me if I had a radio show on KZUU. I said that I did. He said that he recognized my name and my voice, but couldn't place it right away. The he realized where he had heard it.

He said that he listens to KZUU a lot while driving the bus. I then quietly said my tagline "This is The PES on KZUU 90.7 FM,... broadcasting live... from the dark, damp, dungeons of Smith Gym." A couple others smiled knowingly.

Then he said the best show I had ever done was the one were I was talking about the Easter Massacre with Karl Heuterman. He said he was hanging on every word.

That was pretty cool to hear. I mentioned to him that I had Rod Thorton and John Sherman on my show back in 2002. He said he knew that. He said that he was full of tid-bits of trivia like that.

It is one of those things that a lot of time you wonder how often people hear what you say. How many people are listening at any given time.

I remember about a year and a half ago I was ranting about people who complain there is nothing to do in Pullman. I was giving reference to a concert that was free for students. It was put on by the Brass Rings at Christmas time. For a long time I have felt that Christmas, the way I remember it as a kid, is dead. With the push to be politically correct, Christmas has become just another minor holiday. But for the couple hours I was sitting in Bryan Aud I was transported back. I didn't want the time to end. It was the best Christmas rejuvenation I have had in a decade.

As it turned out people who work at Beasley in the front offices heard me talking about it and were happy to hear me say what I did. They try hard to put on activities and shows for people to enjoy.

I also have had other people at various places mention in passing that they heard me on the radio.

It is one of those things that recharges my batteries and makes me want to do the best show I can each and every week. It actually makes me feel ashamed when I allow one of my other seven jobs to get in the way of putting together a bang-up show each week.

On a side note, I know it is getting close to time for me to get back on the air. At the beginning of my summer hiatus I didn't have anything that was making me get fired up, but recently around Pullman I have seen some stuff that makes me wish the hiatus was over.

Be prepared for for the upcoming season of The PES. I am looking forward to it, I hope you are too!

1 comment:

April E. Coggins said...

Scotty: I know people listen. They are still remarking about my lame guest spot, but are impressed with Scotty and Tom's remarks. Congrats, your audience is growing.