Politics from the Palouse to Puget Sound

Wednesday, October 24, 2007

Ignorati Emeriti

Here is Nick Gier's response to the polite invitation from Daniel Schanze, WSU College Republicans President, to attend the screening of "Obsession: Radical Islam's War Against the West" tonight.

From: nickgier@adelphia.net
Date: October 23, 2007 7:31:33 PM PDT
To: Daniel Schanze dschanze@mail.wsu.edu
Subject: Re: Documentary Invitation

Dear Daniel,

Thanks for the invitation, but from what I've read about this film I can only draw the conclusion that it is not a balanced account and will damage our government's attempts to win moderate Muslims to our side in the war on terror.

I will not recommend the film to my students or my friends. I will recommend that they attend all the alternative events that have been planned for the Week of Tolerance.

I've appended one column and attached two others that I've written on this topic. One of these might appear in the Daily Evergreen this week.

Nick Gier, Professor Emeritus, University of Idaho
That's right folks, The proud professor emeritus who taught Philosophy for 31 years LEAPS TO THE CONCLUSION THAT THE FILM IS BAD BUT HASN'T EVEN SEEN IT YET. Nevertheless, he is prepared to unleash "the full fury of progressive voices for tolerance on the Palouse" on the College Republicans for showing it.

My God, this is the clearest example I've seen yet of liberal elitist closed-mindedness, academic dishonesty, and sheer willful ignorance that Michael wrote about recently. Would you want this man teaching you or your child how to think logically and rationally?