Politics from the Palouse to Puget Sound

Friday, December 28, 2007

Random Thoughts

One of the arguments that I have heard anti-war protesters making toward college Republicans and others is "If you support the war, why don't you go sign up for duty." They insinuate that you cannot support something unless you are actually doing said activity.

Let's apply that same sentiment to law enforcement. You cannot support crime fighting unless you become a cop and put your life on the line to protect and serve.

You scoff and say that I am being silly? I am being no more silly than people who believe you have to be a soldier to support the war.

1 comment:

Paul E. Zimmerman said...

Scotty (quoting douchebag anti-war types): "If you support the war, why don't you go sign up for duty."

My current standard answer (given without tipping my hand and revealing that I'm a veteran):

"Because wars cost money, so I'm working and making sure that it gets paid for."

I figure that's easier than explaining to them to similarities between a relatively small military relative to the populace of the nation and how the vast majority of any fighting force is support elements, not combat troops. That's probably too hard for a slogan-driven mind to grasp though, so I dumb it down for the audience. :)