Politics from the Palouse to Puget Sound

Wednesday, October 25, 2006

We'll Agree to Disagree

I consider myself an independent thinker. I am guided by my own conservative/libertarian ideology. Sometimes, my opinions will differ from those who I support, be that President Bush, the Republican Party, fellow conservatives, Wal-Mart, Bill Doba's red-zone play calling, or the Pullman City Council.

For example, it was reported in today's Moscow-Pullman Daily News:
In other business, the City Council passed a resolution urging voters to vote against Initiative 933.

I-933 would require city, county and state governments to pay landowners for any decreased value to property due to government regulations.

The initiative is not clearly written and could be costly for the city, said John Sherman, city supervisor.

Johnson said the initiative could cost the city more than $5 million.

The resolution against I-933 passed unanimously.
I'm disappointed, but certainly not surprised. I understand where they are coming from. The city council is required by the RCW to establish and administer Critical Areas Ordinances. I-933 will make those Critical Areas Ordinances more painful. Those in government also tend to be somewhat jealous of their prerogatives and don't like to have their decisions second-guessed.

I have disagreed with the council before over the upcoming bond issue not addressing streets. I'm sure I'll disagree with them again. That's okay. That's democracy. They'll still have my overall support as long as they keep Pullman headed in the right direction.

1 comment:

April E. Coggins said...

Tom: I agree and I am glad for your post. An open mind respects and will consider a different opinion. We don't all have to agree all the time. It would be boring if we did.