Politics from the Palouse to Puget Sound

Thursday, November 09, 2006

Salute to Our Veterans


This is dedicated to veteran Paul Zimmerman and future veteran, The Red Knight. Thank you for your service to our nation.
Blessed be the LORD my strength,
which teacheth my hands to war,
and my fingers to fight:

my goodness, and my fortress;
my high tower, and my deliverer;
my shield, and he in whom I trust;
who subdueth my people under me.

LORD, what is man, that thou takest knowledge of him!
or the son of man, that thou makest account of him! Job.

Man is like to vanity:
his days are as a shadow that passeth away.

Bow thy heavens, O LORD, and come down:
touch the mountains, and they shall smoke.

Cast forth lightning, and scatter them:
shoot out thine arrows, and destroy them.

Send thine hand from above;
rid me, and deliver me out of great waters,
from the hand of strange children;

whose mouth speaketh vanity,
and their right hand is a right hand of falsehood.

I will sing a new song unto thee, O God:
upon a psaltery and an instrument of ten strings
will I sing praises unto thee.

It is he that giveth salvation unto kings:
who delivereth David his servant from the hurtful sword.

Rid me, and deliver me from the hand of strange children,
whose mouth speaketh vanity,
and their right hand is a right hand of falsehood:

that our sons may be as plants grown up in their youth;
that our daughters may be as corner stones,
polished after the similitude of a palace:

that our garners may be full,
affording all manner of store;
that our sheep may bring forth thousands
and ten thousands in our streets:

that our oxen may be strong to labor;
that there be no breaking in, nor going out;
that there be no complaining in our streets.

Happy is that people, that is in such a case:
yea, happy is that people, whose God is the LORD.


- Psalm 144

9 comments:

Paul E. Zimmerman said...

Wow. Thank you, Tom. Things like this mean a lot.

I'm planning to be at the ceremony on campus tomorrow, and weather permitting, I am going in my class A uniform. I haven't worn it since the day I left the Army in June of 1998. I feel like I should put it on again.

Satanic Mechanic said...

Thank you Paul for your service.

The Red Knight (aka, Dr. Know) said...

Thank you, Tom. Your support for my choice of career means a great deal to me, as I know it does to my fellows. I wish I could take more credit, but I haven't really done much yet. I'm constantly humbled by veterans that have given their sweat, blood, and years of their lives in defense of this nation, and hope that I can one day be worthy of that honor. I have yet to know what it means to spend sleepless nights in a dirty foxhole, to feel the force of explosives against my body, or hear the wiz of bullets as they pass by my head. I grew up listening to the stories of relatives that served in our various wars and the sacrifices they made for American, for foreign lands, and for our freedoms. They deserve all the respect that we can give them. Thank you Mr. Zimmerman for your service to this nation, and I hope to see you at the ceremony tomorrow. God bless.

April E. Coggins said...

Everything I try to say seems unworthy and corny, so I will keep it simple:

God bless our armed forces and veterans. We are thankful for your service and humbled at your example. We are a blessed nation. Thank you veterans!

Paul E. Zimmerman said...

Thanks again, all!

Red Knight - sorry I didn't catch up with you at the ceremony. I was down in front just behind the chairs.

Man... that uniform still fits, but I seem to have grown some since I left the service. :)

The Red Knight (aka, Dr. Know) said...

I'm sorry I missed you as well. I did see you there, but ROTC duties kept me too busy to say hello. By the time we were done, everyone had already left.

Paul E. Zimmerman said...

Yeah, the place did abruptly clear out. Last year there were a lot of people lingering. Then again, I think it was quite a bit warmer last year - my hands were blue by the time I left! Let's just meet up on campus for coffee or something some other time.

The Red Knight (aka, Dr. Know) said...

Sounds good to me. I'll have to send you an email in the near future.

Paul E. Zimmerman said...

Alright, I'll keep an eye out.