Politics from the Palouse to Puget Sound

Tuesday, March 25, 2008

An Evening with Dinesh D'Souza

First of all, major kudos to Danny, Alex, Chris and the other CRs for a dynamite event. It was standing room only in CUE 203 to hear Dinesh D'Souza discuss "Racism is Not the Problem.". I estimate that [edit]200-225 were in attendance tonight. It was nice to see a good community representation, including some of our local elected officials and Republican Party leadership. Paul Zimmerman was there along with some other regular Palousitics readers.

My evening got off to an interesting start. I was waiting in the parking garage for the elevator with my 15-year old daughter. The elevator doors opened, and the only person I could see was.......Dinesh D'Souza!!! Funny!! We got in the car and CR Chris Del Beccaro was nice enough to introduce me to Dinesh.

I'll get into much more detail about what was said later (with pictures,) but I'll conclude the way Dinesh concluded tonight: Universities need intellectual diversity the way they need racial, gender, cultural, and language diversity. It was obvious by the reactions and questions from some in the the crowd tonight that there is not very much of that at WSU. Dinesh challenged those liberals in attendance to open their minds to viewpoints that they don't hear very often, like his. If that was his goal, he was quite successful.

Danny, Alex, WSUCollegeRepublican, Paul: Please feel free to chime with your own posts and pictures if ya got 'em.

4 comments:

WSUCollegeRepublican said...

I'll write something up. Your figures are a little off on attendance though. The room holds a little over 200 people, and there were people lining the back as well as each side of the room. We had at least 250 people there.

Unknown said...

Thanks WSUCR. I wasn't sure about the capacity of the room. I have edited my post.

Paul E. Zimmerman said...

Tom,

Here's my post on this awesome evening:

http://www.paulezimmerman.com/2008/03/meeting-dinesh.html

CR's - you rock. Bottom line, end of story.

Alex Williams said...

I will definitely post some pictures up here once I get them from some of the members that had cameras. The event went great and I was pleased with the turn out so thank you to all who showed up. This is the first stepping stone for the WSU CRs to really get those big name speakers to our campus.