The author of the study, David Neumark (a former Wal-Mart Watch "Person of the Week" so let's dispense with the "conservative hack" labels in advance), concludes that :
For every 10% increase in the minimum wage:An EPI press release states:
• Minority unemployment increased by 3.9%
• Hispanic unemployment increased by 4.9%
• Minority teen unemployment increased 6.6%
• African American teen unemployment increased by 8.4%
• Low-skilled unemployment (i.e., those lacking a high school diploma) increased by 8%
Minimum wage hikes jeopardize entry-level jobs: Separate studies from economists at Duke, Michigan State, and Boston University all conclude that minimum wage hikes attract teenagers from wealthy families into the workforce, displacing low-skilled adults in the process.That's bad news for a college town like Pullman, especially if we hope to increase the diversity at WSU. That's the irony of liberalism and statism. It always hurts the ones it supposedly means to protect the most.
Economists at Cornell University and the University of Connecticut found that a 10% increase in the minimum wage results in an 8.5% increase in unemployment for young African Americans and adults lacking a high school diploma.
HT: Dale Courtney