Politics from the Palouse to Puget Sound

Tuesday, February 27, 2007

Al Gore's Hypocrisy Nothing New

It's worth recalling Al Gore's 1996 Democratic National Convention speech when he claimed that he converted from tobacco grower to anti-tobacco activist.

The fact is that Al Gore continued to grow tobacco and courted the tobacco farmers' support during the 1988 presidential primaries, long after his sister had died.

In the 1988 campaign, Gore bragged of his tobacco background: “I want you to know that with my own hands, all of my life, I put [tobacco] in the plant beds and transferred it. I’ve hoed it, I’ve dug in it, I’ve sprayed it, I’ve chopped it, I’ve shredded it, spiked it, put it in the barn, and stripped it and sold it” (Newsday, 2-26-88).

Here's another source of Al Gore's habitual Barbra Streisand.

Of course, it could be the company he keeps.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Ironically, Gore's father, Senator Albert Gore Sr., co-authored the legislation in 1956 that created the interstate highway system, thus arguably creating the "urban sprawl" and greenhouse gas emissions from automobiles that Gore Jr. rails against today.

Barenjager said...

So, do you suppose Al Gore or any of his Glitterati pals have fired up the old ecological footprint calculator and compared their impact to the average Joe's? I did. Using best guesses and middle of the road answers, Mr. Gore's consumption would require 13.7 earths if we all lived like him. It wasn't higher because the worst case scenarios in the model do not allow for more than one residence or all the travel he does.