Politics from the Palouse to Puget Sound

Saturday, January 06, 2007

"PARD opens reader’s eyes to ‘shoddy’ goods"

I'm glad to see Terry Day writing letters about Wal-Mart again, like this one in today's Daily News:
In a letter to the editor (Opinion, Jan. 1), T.V. Reed offered to drive a Pullman Wal-Mart supporter to Moscow to shop, saying: “She has a right to shop for shoddy sweatshop-made goods if she wishes.”

Well, I don’t know about sweatshop production, but my eyes brightened when I heard that Wal-Mart sells shoddy goods. Just the kind for which I keep my eyes peeled. I jumped in the car and sped right to Moscow to check them out — if we can call 45 mph speeding.

What an eye opener.

Shocked and awed by the display of shoddy merchandise, I whipped out a notebook and took brand names.

I stopped when I got writer’s cramp; but for those who have never set foot in Wal-Mart and have no idea what shoddy goods Reed was talking about, here are some of the brand names: AT&T, Buck, Campbells, Coca-Cola, Coleman, Compaq, Corning Ware, Del Monte, Garmin, GE, Hamilton Beach, Hewlett Packard, Hoover, Hormel, Magnavox, Nalley, Pepsi, Purina, RCA, Remington, Rugar, Sanyo, Sony, Spaulding, Stanley, Thermos, Turbo Tax, White Stag and Winchester.

Thanks to Reed and my curiosity, I now know where to go to buy the type of shoddy merchandise I like to buy, that these companies make, and that Wal-Mart sells.
That whole "cheap sweatshop goods" argument is a loser. Better stick with deer testicles TV.

Technorati Tags:

4 comments:

Scotty said...

I love Pepsi! I didn't know it was a sweatshop, shoddy product! I guess the sweetness I tasted all these years was the sweat of the ten year-old making it?

Victoria Dehlbom said...

Amazing as I suspect that Remington never thought of themselves as a shoddy company nor all the hunters who purchase their products. Oh, silly me, elitists wouldn't approve of hunting.

Paul E. Zimmerman said...

Turbo Tax is a shoddy good? Sweet! That means it matches that shoddy tax code we have to deal with every year!

Satanic Mechanic said...

Good one Paul!