Politics from the Palouse to Puget Sound

Saturday, April 19, 2008

Obama Explains National Anthem Stance

Saturday, April 12, 2008 1:12 AM

Subject: Obama Explains National Anthem Stance


Well this ought to give the Obama fans something to cheer about. Looks like they've scraped the bottom of the barrel with this guy!
LARRY KESTER


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Obama Explains National Anthem Stance


This really is frightening!!!

Publishers, Friends and Fellow Americans:

This message was forwarded to me today and in my opinion clearly shows the lack of Honor or Respect that Senator Barack Obama holds for our Country!

Major Robert Fry, USA ret

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

On Sat, 22 Mar 2008 18:48:04 -04! 00, "LT G Bill Ginn" USAF ret forwarded:

Hot on the heels of his explanation for why he no longer wears a flag pin, presidential candidate Senator Barack Obama was forced to explain why he doesn't follow protocol when the National Anthem is played.

According to the United States Code, Title 36, Chapter 10, Sec. 171, during the rendition of the national anthem when the flag is displayed, all present except those in uniform are expected to stand at attention attention facing the flag with the right hand over the heart.

"As I've said about the flag pin, I don't want to be perceived as taking sides," Obama said. "There are a lot of people in the world to whom the American flag is a symbol of oppression. And the anthem itself conveys a war-like message.

You know, the bombs bursting in air and all. It should be swapped for something less parochial and less bellicose. I like the song 'I'd Like to Teach the World to Sing.' If that were our anthem, then I might salute it."

"I don't think my church is actually particularly controversial." - Barack Obama.

Comment:

If someone had told me 45 years ago, as I was roaring down the runway in the most beautiful airplane in the world, that I would see our country subjected to one of the most disgusting Presidential elections imaginable, I would have told them they were crazy as hell...

What in the world have we come to?

5 comments:

Unknown said...

According to Snopes.com, the bit about the flag being a symbol of oppression and "I'd Like to Teach the World to Sing" was extracted from a satirical column by John Semmens at The Arizona Conservative. Apparently people found it so believable, they have forwarded it on as though Obama actually said it. He didn't. Although it is true he has been seen not holding his hand over his heart during the playing of the Anthem.

Mr. C. said...

It's an urban legend.

See: http://www.snopes.com/politics/obama/stance.asp

Paul E. Zimmerman said...

It should also be pointed out that in the photo of Obama in the Snopes article that Tom linked, Obama's belt does not match his shoes.

His mother dresses him funny. Unelectable.

Barenjager said...

I should have checked. Sorry. Unfortunately (for America) it was all too belivable.

Anonymous said...

As much as I don’t like Obama …

Snopes says it is false.
http://www.snopes.com/politics/obama/stance.asp
So does Urban Legends
http://urbanlegends.about.com/od/barackobama/a/obama_anthem.htm