Politics from the Palouse to Puget Sound

Wednesday, June 07, 2006

She's in the minority, I guess

With PARD's claims of millions of Pullmanites against WalMart, I would like to introduce one of the two or three people who want to see WalMart come. She has some sharp points that might hurt those who are against WalMart.

No more can people make faceless claims about how WalMart is evil and WalMart does this and WalMart pays minimum wage without benefits...


Compare the benefits

Will someone please enlighten me. As an 11-year Wal-Mart associate, apparently I am missing something in my benefits. I speak out in reference to Nathan Alford’s Daily News commentary of June 3 & 4 in which he states that Wal-Mart offers minimal benefits to its associates.

I have the following: health coverage, a growing 401(k) plan, stock purchase plan, three weeks vacation a year, sick time, personal time, life insurance for myself and my husband, accidental death and dismemberment insurance, several paid holidays a year, dental coverage and a discount card that can be used in any Wal-Mart store. I also have had occasion to use the three days paid for a funeral for close family members and pay for jury duty. The only plans I chose not to participate in are the short and long term disability, but they are available.

Should Wal-Mart be offering me something else in my benefits package?

About my wages. I currently make $2.50 an hour more than what I did at my previous retail employer of 16 years. That employer had implemented salary caps. When you reached the top of your pay level you would no longer receive raises. My Wal-Mart employer has an annual review and raise program. There are no salary caps.

So before you go into how Wal-Mart offers minimum benefits and low wages, perhaps you should sit down and talk to some Wal-Mart employees. Perhaps you should not listen to rumors and innuendos. Maybe you should get the facts. I challenge you to compare my benefits and wages to those of your own company and then tell me what I am missing.

Geraldine “Geri” Massie, Pullman
I am sure the millions of Pullmanites against WalMart will write her off as a liar and a cheat, but I believe her.

Technorati Tags:

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I'm still flabbergasted that a newspaper publisher could take a stance on the Wal-Mart issue while proudly admitting he has never been inside one.

Uncle Bubba said...

I,like millions of Americans, shop at WalMart for reasons of convenience and thrift. Mr. Alford, a person who has never set foot in a WalMart store, certainly is not in touch with nor could possibly understand mainstream America.