Politics from the Palouse to Puget Sound

Thursday, June 21, 2007

Happy Birthday TWO Palousitics!


On June 21, 2005, I thought I would give the whole blogging thing a try. I wrote some thoughts on I-912, the initiative to repeal the 9 1/2 cent gas tax, that virtually no one read but me (and my wife, who deserves more credit than anyone for putting up with all my blogging and politicking.)

I had no idea then that, two years later, I would be joined by a dozen or so other local conservative voices and that Palousitics (if I had known it would be so popular, I would have picked a more pronouncable name) would grow to have 1,826 posts that have been read by over 100,000 unique visitors from every continent (except Antarctica, still working on that goal.) Blogs on Palousitics have been linked to major regional and national blogs, as well as covered in the national news. I think we have definitely changed the conversation about news and politics on the Palouse. Certainly, the cabal of WSU left-wing intelligensia no longer hold a monopoly on public ideas and discourse in Pullman and they can no longer conceal their activities beneath the friendly local media (ask David Leonard and John Streamas). As Justice Louis Brandeis said, "Sunlight is said to be the best of disinfectants; electric light the most efficient policeman."

This last year was the best so far, with the WSU College Republicans, Paul E. Zimmerman, Satanic Mechanic, Barenjager, and the great Michael Costello joining in the fun.

Palousitics has changed its look several times since that first post two years ago. We've opened up the discussion to include national as well as local politics. You can count on things to continue to evolve, but the conservative focus will always remain the same.

Here's to another great year! And my heartfelt thanks to all for making it possible!

1 comment:

Paul E. Zimmerman said...

Congrats, and thanks for creating this space, Tom!