Politics from the Palouse to Puget Sound

Wednesday, May 09, 2007

Safer NW Larry Street

This is a personal issue for me, as I live in the Paradise Ridge subdivision. This issue has been ignored for too long.
To: Pullman City Council

On April 17, 2007, the Pullman City Council decided to have NW Larry Street in the vicinity of Pullman High School restriped, which will accommodate 7.5 feet of parking on each side as well as two 11-foot lanes for traffic.

We feel that this action by the council does not adequately address the serious safety issue that has gone on for many years. During baseball and football season, dozens of cars park on both sides of NW Larry Street. The width of the road, combined with the volume of traffic traveling to and from the Paradise Ridge subdivision, make it highly dangerous for pedestrians to cross and create a hazard to parked vehicles. We feel it is only a matter of time until there is a serious, or even fatal, accident.

Therefore, we respectfully request that the Pullman City Council designate the south side of NW Larry Street adjacent to the high school (the side across the street from the baseball and football fields) a "No Parking" zone.

Sincerely,

The Undersigned
If you would like to add your signature to this petition (Pullman residents only), please click here. Please let your friends and neighbors know. The more signatures gathered, the more weight it will have with the council.

1 comment:

Satanic Mechanic said...

Ah yes, Larry street with the baseball games. I remember them well when I had my house on Arcadia Dr. I remember the kids and grownups jumping out in front of me all the time when they parked on Larry. I had to reduce my speed from 25mph to 15mph when a game was on.
I hated the kids who took their sweet time crossing or expected me to stop for them. Silly kids, I only get 20 points for each one I hit.
Seriously, where Larry curves, it cannot support parking on each side and two lanes of traffic. The people can park at the high school and walk the 100 feet to the field.