Politics from the Palouse to Puget Sound

Tuesday, July 04, 2006

"Wal-Mart will be a big plus"

Remember how 69% of Americans suport Wal-Mart? There was a letter to the editor from one of them in today's Daily News:

Whether you like it or not, there is always a point in a person’s life when they must step out of their box, and into a Wal-Mart store.

I use to tell my husband, “Honey, there is always a time in a person’s life when they can’t find what they want anywhere else except at a Wal-Mart store.”

My husband bought a name brand weed eater, and he needed to buy a replacement part for it. The store that sold the weed whacker told him he would be able to get it at Wal-Mart and other building supply type stores.

Well, my honey is faithful to the local merchants and patiently went everywhere in Pullman that would have this item. They had everything else for the weed whacker machines, but this one part for this one name brand. We tried Moscow’s merchants, and had no luck there. The last place we went was good old faithful Wal-Mart.

I personally have always wanted a Wal-Mart store in Pullman. I care about my hometown and I want to see it do well, and I think the Wal-Mart store will be a big plus for Pullman in many ways.

Sarah Hamilton

Pullman
Technorati Tags:

2 comments:

Victoria Dehlbom said...

What a great letter. Very simple and says so much!

April E. Coggins said...

The store she mentions could easily be my store. We sell "weed whackers" and the trimmer heads were on back order for months. Ironically, they finally came in today.

It's not unusual for us to buy things at Wal-Mart (and other discount stores) and resell them in our store to keep Pullman shoppers happy and in town. We should have done that with the trimmer heads.