Politics from the Palouse to Puget Sound

Monday, May 26, 2008

Follow I-90 West 2,100 Miles to Coeur d'Alene, ID

Like many people in Pullman, my experience of I-90 has been limited to stretches between Seattle and Vantage and US 195 and the Spokane Valley Mall.

I-90, of course, is much more than a frequently snowy pass. It is a major cross-country route stretching from Boston to Seattle.

We've just intersected I-90 south of Cleveland and the car will be pointed west from here on out. It's very comforting to be on the interstate that goes through Coeur d'Alene and Spokane; the only interstate that has an exit sign that reads "Pullman." Thank you President Eisenhower.

As far as the bitter white people, I don't know about guns and religion, but they were sure clinging to their leather and Harleys. We passed dozens, if not hundreds, of bikers returning home from the annual Rolling Thunder ride in D.C.

Believe me, all the guys wearing POW/MIA, American flag, Vietnam Vet, 101st Airborne Screaming Eagle, and Ranger tab patches didn't look like this was the first time in their adult lives that they had been proud of their country (nor, I daresay, would anyone have been allowed to say anything like that in their presence.)

2 comments:

Bruce Heimbigner said...

I've twice driven most of I-90 E of Spokane. The first time was my honeymoon in 1976. We took a clockwise tour of the country, returning through the south then Denver. We were in Philadelphia on July 4, 1976 - that was a celebration - best fireworks I’ve ever seen. And we saw Ford give a speech on Independence mall. In 1995 we traveled with our 3 sons on second 5 week counter-clockwise (this time) tour of America returning via most of I-90. A great experience, both times.

Satanic Mechanic said...

I have traveled the full length of I-90. We have relatives in RI and MA, so I have traveled back and forth twice across I-90. The first time it took four days and the second time it took three days. Going through Montana is always the longest part of the journey.