Politics from the Palouse to Puget Sound

Sunday, October 23, 2005

Just the Facts, Ma'am


Wal-Mart opponents are constantly challenging Wal-Mart supporters to state facts and not suppositions. Yet Wal-Mart opponents consistently use the most absurd, touchy-feely, unsubstantiated reasoning to explain why they oppose the proposed Supercenter.

For example, in yesterday's Moscow-Pullman Daily News, city council candidate Judy "Nightmare on Main Street" Krueger said the following:
In my world view, quality of life beings and ends with personal spirituality (ed.- hence PARD's initial opposition to the Pullman Foursquare Church, oh brother), family connections and community involvement for the common good. Really, it's all about relationships.
She then explains Pullman's appeal in terms of the Kiwanis pancake breakfast and the National Lentil Festival (put on, by the way, by the Pullman Chamber of Commerce, which is in favor of Wal-Mart).

How in the heck will Wal-Mart ruin any of those things? How would Wal-Mart destroy "the sense of community that is our strongest asset?"

And who exactly determines the greatest common good? PARD? Judy Krueger? The United Food and Commercial Workers International? Al Norman? Howard Dean? Karl Marx? I and many other Wal-mart supporters have consistently shown facts that prove Wal-Mart is in the greatest common good because of the millions in tax dollars it will provide to the city and its residents over the years, not to mention the many charitable donations Wal-Mart will make. If Krueger, et. al. were interested in the greater "common" good, they would disband PARD immediately. They are merely interested in the greater "elitist" good.

What a bunch of New Age blather. Next thing you know, someone will compare Wal-Mart to Battered Wife Syndrome. Wait a minute.....

Did anyone else catch the Crimson and Gray reference by Ms. Krueger, the WSU Center for Human Rights Senior Investigator? In a Daily Evergeen article on September 26, it was stated: "Student leaders and WSU employees promoting book venders other than The Bookie may face consequences through Student Conduct." Uh oh.

7 comments:

Ray Lindquist said...

Well, I spent about 2 hours downtown Pullman, waving a sign that said HONK for WAL-MART and did I ever have the honks. Some honks from the big trucks, and from all the fire trucks. I can only suppose that they know they might be able to get the equipment they want and need to protect us. The one thing that was so amazing to see was there were a few who would go by and scream the 4 letter words. One of the times this happened, I had two ladies standing by me, which I could tell from there body language they were not happy I was there. Well, when they where waiting for the light some real foul mouthed guys came by screaming the 4 letter stuff. I said loud enough for the ladies and the drive by screamers to hear "That was NOT a very PRO-Choice type of attitude". Over all I would have to say that at least 60% to 70% of the people honked or gave me the ‘thumbs-up’. So if you were one of those, THANKS, and hope you will honk again if you see me down there in the weeks to come.

Unknown said...

God bless you, Ray! You have just demonstrated what true grassroots democracy is all about. A man, a sign, and an idea. It's not about courts, lawyers, and national special interest groups.

As far as the rudeness of the left goes, it's all too common I'm afraid. For a bunch of supposed academics, they always resort to schoolyard profanity and name calling. These "blowhard intellectuals" and "self-styled activists" ostensibly advocate, openness, free speech, tolerance and diversity, but in reality they are viciously intolerant of any ideas that conflict with their own. It ranges from "esteemed" Ph.D. "expert witnesses" who attack people for putting up signs on their own property all the way down to the immature dorks yelling obscenities at you today.

The world has been reading about the intolerance at WSU lately. Wonder how long it will take the people of Pullman to catch on and send these arrogant jerks back to whatever rock they crawled out from under?

Thanks again Ray. That took guts. I'm going to come down and join you when I get some time.

April E. Coggins said...

Thanks Ray! It did take guts. I didn't see you myself, darn it! But other people were telling me about it and they all loved it. I heard you were getting lots of honks. The large majority is behind you.

Ray Lindquist said...

I forgot to mention I had two people come by and take my picture. The one was from a car and the other was somone on the sidewalk. It will be interesting to see where those pop at.

Unknown said...

Ray, I think we can safely assume that the PARD mailing list was quite active last night.

Ray Lindquist said...

LOL maybe so Tom. One other thing that happened was I had two grade school girls there with a piece of note book paper that had a sign on it and they used red ink to sratch onto it "Don't Honk"... It was funny when I told the them why are you against your city, They replyied "we arn't" I said well the city has not been able to buy fie equipment they needed since the money is so short. Then one girl pipes up my dad is a firefighter. They just kept on waving the paper sign, go figure.

Unknown said...

That's pretty sad. I hope they came of their own volition and not at the behest of some scheming liberal parents.

Of course, we have recently seen the left wing litmus test that teachers must pass in Washington, so it's not surprising that our children would believe the lies about Wal-Mart.